In the name of Allaah, the Most Merciful, the Bestower of Mercy.
Islaam encourages us to donate some of our wealth to charity. In doing so, we please our Lord who blessed us with this wealth as well as contribute to the society around us. However, Sadaqah (charity) also has many benefits for the person who donates his wealth. Among the benefits are:
- It increases a person’s own provisions
- It is an avenue for expiating one’s sins
- It repels future harm and calamities
- It protects one’s wealth
- It provides contentment to the heart
- It strengthens the trust a person has with Allaah
- It angers Shaytaan
- It purifies one’s self and soul
- It increases one’s lifespan
- It is an avenue to achieve the love of Allaah as well as the love of people
- It protects a person from the punishment in the grave
- It is an action for which people supplicate for the one who donated
- It acts as an intercession in front of Allaah
- It lightens the difficulties of this world and the hereafter
- It provides a shade on the Day of Resurrection
- It acts as a cover that conceals one’s sins
- It distances a person from arrogance and pride
- It makes a person realise the blessings they are in
- Allaah will alleviate the burdens of a person who gives in charity
- A person saves himself from the Fire, even if he donates half a date in charity
What if you do not have enough money to give in charity?
The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam),
Charity is an obligation upon every Muslim
The companions asked,
O Prophet of Allaah, what about a person who does [not have enough wealth] to give in charity?
The Prophet replied,
He should work with his hands, provide for himself and also give in charity
The companions further asked,
What if he unable to do so?
He should help a person who is in need and has appealed for help
What if he is unable to do so?
The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam) replied,
He should do righteous deeds and stay away from evil, this will be his charity 
Written by the one in need of Allah,
Abul Abbaas Naveed Ayaaz
19 Ramadhaan 1436 AH
Monday 6 July 2015
 Narrated by Abu Musa; Collected by al-Bukhaaree